Tuesday, April 8, 2014

1.02 Billion Hungry People Worldwide


On Monday the lecture - Food and Climate Change - by Dr. David Karowe, was very interesting. As someone who isn't a science person I was uncertain how interested I would be. One fact that specifically stood out to me was that there are "1.02 billion hungry people worldwide." Since this course is related to food, I found this fact super fitting to blog about. Just to put this statistic in perspective, there are about 7,225,207,281 people worldwide.

As we have learned throughout the semester, directly in Kalamazoo we have Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes, People's Food Co-op of Kalamazoo and other organizations that directly work with the community and food (or lack thereof).

The fact that there ever are "1.02 billion hungry people worldwide," is so sad to me. As I heard this fact, I was eating my challah slice. I didn't want to finish eating it after that. Hearing the fact made me sick. Reading the fact again, makes me sick. What can we do to lower end this horrible statistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment